Previous Photograph Back to Thumbnails
What's An Eelway

What's An Eelway

Photograph by: C. Fox

Date of Photograph: August 30, 2012

This is a view of what the channel inside the steel looks like. Though it's hard to see in the picture, the channel is V shaped which helps keep the flowing water in the center where the two different "substrates" meet. The substrate on the right is called a bristle mat and is very similar to a rough broom. Smaller eels prefer this, using the bristles to snake their way up the eelway. There is enough water to keep them wet, but not so much that they are flushed back down the eelway. The substrate on the left is called aquadrain and is a rubber mat peppered with thimbles. Larger eels find this much easier to use in wiggling their way uphill.

Photograph 45 of 45 in the "Horseshoe Falls Gallery" gallery

DonateSearch SiteShopping CartPrivacy Policy